Friday, July 6, 2007

I have been uninsured for most of the last twenty years.
For over seven of those years, I have worked for the State of Virginia, logging at least 31 hours per week of work.
I currently work 40 hours a week for Virginia Social Services as a P-14 employee.
Despite my 40-hour work week, I am not a Classified employee and thus am uninsured and receive no paid sick-leave.
When I am ill, I simply tough it out at home, unpaid.
With the premier of Michael Moore's documentary movie
"Sicko" and the health insurance (or lack thereof) crisis at the forefront of the discussions and platforms of many candidates seeking the 2008 presidential nominations, it is time for me to start this blog.
I am one of some 45+ million Americans without any health insurance,
the vast majority of whom (0r their parents) are working.
Many more lack coverage for certain conditions, long-term coverage or are
mired in debt from excessive co-pays and deductibles.
In most states, including Virginia, most working people are excluded from the Medicaid roles and may, believe it or not, make too much money to qualify for sliding scale care at clinics and prescription assistance programs. Yet private coverage for individuals and families remains too expensive for most working Americans.
This blog will be a record of my struggle to find accessible,
affordable health care to treat my current high blood pressure and any other conditions I may have or develop. I won't bore you with the details of my bodily functions/conditions or TMI (too much information!) but I will detail how I do
or don't obtain the treatments for such conditions.
If you are uninsured, you will understand exactly what I am writing about.
You've been there. You ARE there.
If you are insured, you might gain an understanding of what the struggle
to attain a basic human service is like for others who lack that service.
You might become more compassionate.
Thanks for reading!

No comments: