Saturday, July 7, 2007

Alternatives

Various folks have suggested alternative health care methods for my health care crisis.
I appreciate their concern and I have explored alternative therapies/remedies such as vitamins, herbs, prayer and other alternative methods of health care.
Don't misunderstand me; I think most alternative care is great, can be cutting edge and preventive medicine is the best course of therapy.
I don't worship doctors nor do I think allopathic (conventional) medicine is a cure-all.
I think allopathic physicians should incorporate alternative medical ideas in their practices.

However, uninsured is still uninsured for both alternative and conventional health cares.
Many alternative health practitioners are as expensive as conventional practitioners.

My question is this:
What if we, as a society, considered equal and affordable access to medical care as important other public services (paid for through our taxes)such as primary and secondary education, police, fire and other such essential services.
We pay for roads with our taxes, why not health care?

What if employers considered employees health care a priority?
Unhealthy employees who worry about health care access and costs are not happy employees and they are less productive than their healthier counterparts.
I have missed many days of work because of high blood pressure-related problems.
I had to rest to avoid having a stroke!
If I had had accessible health care when I first found out about my high b.p.,
I would have gotten immediate care for that very treatable condition and
would have logged several less sick days.
(I have tried some alternative treatments and they have had no effect on my b.p. I don't know the cause of my high b.p., other than genetics. I have restricted sodium for years because my mother had high b.p.)

No comments: