Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Am I typical of the uninsured?

Most profiles of the uninsured that I have read do not fit me:
I'm not unemployed, self-employed, employed part-time, a single parent, on welfare and uneducated, nor am I of a minority race or ethnicity.
I am employed by the State of Virginia. I am educated. I'm not a single parent. I'm white and middle-aged.
I don't want a free ride. I simply want my employer and/or my taxes to pay for my health insurance.I expect part of the payment for the insurance would come out of my paycheck and I don't mind paying co-pays and deductibles if they are reasonable.
Several classified,benefitted employees at my workplace do exactly the same type of work as I . I actually work longer hours per day than these folks and produce as much, if not more, quality work per day. Is it to much to ask that I get the same benefits as these folks;that I get equal pay for equal work?
Tomorrow I go to the clinic and I'll see how that goes. But it sure would be easier for me if my employer, Aunt Virginia, would deign to give me benefits. It seems wrong that a working person should have to go to a medical clinic originally started for the unemployed and homeless.

No comments: